Sixth Of The Series – Starting With Triathlon
Tips for Open Water Swimming
A swimmer in the open water is essentially a displacement vessel. The bow wave created by a swimmer has forward and lateral movement. These waves move at an angle relative to the direction of the swimmer and are based on the swimmer’s speed and size.
There are three key facts to keep in mind:
- The faster the lead swimmer, the better your draft will be with all other things equal.
- The physically larger the lead swimmer, the more beneficial the draft is for those behind.
- The closer you are to the lead swimmer, the better your draft.
The Perfect Position
In a fact known by world-class swimmers, drafting between the ankles and hips is more beneficial that drafting directly behind the lead swimmer’s feet for various reasons:
- When the drafting swimmer reaches near mid-body of the lead swimmer, the lead swimmer’s wake (i.e., spreading of the bow wave) has moved laterally, so the drafting swimmer can take maximum advantage of the bow wave. That is, the drafting swimmer has reached the center of the complete wave created by the lead swimmer. Basically, the drafting swimmer is surfing a bow wave.
- The bow wave cannot extend beyond the length of the swimmer who creates it. The bow wave lifts up at the end of the swimmer’s body. The most efficient swimming is when a drafting swimmer cruises in that wave. The most efficient drafting is achieved if you cruise at the same speed in the wake of the lead swimmer off to the side—but away from the eddies caused by their kick.
- In the middle of a race, when the kick of most swimmers is less than the end of the race when they are sprinting, the optimal drafting position is slightly different. At the end of the race when the kick increases, swimmers create swirls by their kick. The more swirls, the more drag. So if your opponent’s kick increases, move up higher alongside their body to utilize their bow wave, but far enough away from the swirls and eddies caused by their kick.
- Combine your speed with the speed of the lead swimmer. If they speed up, you speed up. If they slow down, you slow down. If you are directly behind them, lead swimmers make the water smoother, but you are not efficiently utilizing their bow wave.
- If you swim alongside a lead swimmer, you do not have to lift your head so often to navigate. This saves energy that can be utilized at the end of the race. If you swim directly behind a swimmer, you must often lift your head to confirm your direction and position behind the lead swimmer.
- Even if the water is clear and you can easily see the lead swimmer under the surface of the water, your head is in a sub-optimal position. The most optimal head position is when you are looking straight down. This creates a more streamlined and efficient body position, saving you energy and creating less drag.
- When you swim parallel to the lead swimmer, you can effectively navigate off them when you breathe. The need to lift up your head to sight is significantly reduced and your head is positioned in the most streamlined position.
There are many other factors that come into play when drafting and positioning but these basic factors are enough to get started.
Triathlon Training Monthly
$75.00 / month
Personalized Training Plans delivered weekly
All Levels and Ages
SPRINT – OLYMPIC – IRONMAN 70.3 – IRONMAN
WHO WE ARE
We are an ONLINE COACHING offering IRONMAN Distance Training, Triathlon Coaching, Running Coaching, Duathlon Coaching, Cycling Coaching, Strength Training. Personalized Training Plans for Athletes of all ages and abilities. Nutrition, Hydration and Gear for all three disciplines.
HOW IT WORKS
The first step is to fill out your registration here on the website and set up your payment method. We use the TrainingPeaks® app for training plan prescription and workout calendar. You can download it from the App Store or Google Play.
By downloading the app you will have access to your training plan from wherever you are, on your mobile phone or desktop.
Once you have your registration completed one of our coaches will make the first personal contact to seek additional information, specific goals and daily routine.
The prescription of the workouts will be weekly, taking into account the feedback of the exercises performed in the current week;
All workouts are set via Trainingpeaks® that can be integrated with your Garmin Connect® and other methods of fitness tracking. Athletes are categorized according to the technical level and proving target. We use few different levels: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, those leves are set according to the aptitudes and previous experience of each student.
Each athlete will have their training prescribed and adapted according to their classification and their next goals, respecting their individuality, conditioning and daily routine.
WHAT YOU GET WITH OUR TRIATHLON TRAINING PROGRAM
Triathlon Training ( SPRINT – OLYMPIC – IRONMAN 70.3 – IRONMAN )
- A FREE personal training calendar powered by TrainingPeaks Basic Account
- Colored Compliance Workout Management
- Log workouts and analyze heart rate, power, pace and other data via TrainingPeaks
- Receive daily workout notifications via e-mail.
- Upload your workouts from over 90 compatible devices.
- View workouts on the go with free apps for iPhone or Android.
- Training resources and advice from Team Bodyfeed Coaches
- Structural training plan with with full description on how execute workouts from start to finish
- Group trainings available ( not available in all areas )
- Customized Training Plan delivered weekly with multiple goals – A, B and C Events
- 1 one 1 ONLINE Coaching
- Analysis of Key Workouts and Monthly Analysis
- Triathlon Training Plans based on Heart Rate, Threshold, Running and Cycling Power, Cadence and RPE
- Unlimited communication
- Weekly Coach/Athlete touch base
- Video Analysis
- Race day game plan
- Annual training plan preparation by TSS ( ATP )
- Performance Management Chart
- Prior Event Sweat Test
- Lactate and Fitness Tests ( FTP / LT / T-Pace / Speed / Pace / TT )
Unlimited email, phone call, txt, Facebook messenger, Facebook Private Forum, Skype or WhatsApp (at times agreed between the coach and student) and through the App Trainingpeaks®